A) To B) For C) On D) With
25. Our work in this sphere cannot quite _______ with the situation.
A) keep up B) keep step
C) catch step D) follow pace
26. The boy was _______ by the noise of the explosion.
A) afraid B) nervous
C) frightened D) fearful
27. So little ______ about physics that the lecture was completely
A) I knew B) did I know
C) I had known D) had I known
28. _______ fairly recently _______ solved, at least partially.
A) Until/that this problem was
B) It was until/that this problem was
C) Not until/was this problem
D) It was not until/whe n this problem was
29. It took some explaining for the professor to _______ his point to the
A) make out B) make off
C) get across D) get out
30."What did Professor Downhill do next?"
"He _______ our names on a piece of paper."
A) had all of us written B) had us all write
C) had us all to write D) had all us writing
31. Give me your telephone number _______ I need your help.
A) unless B) so that C) in case D) whether
32. We couldn't cut the string because the ______ of the knife was
not sharp enough.
A) edge B) side C) border D) front
33. He offered to ______ her a hand as the suitcase was too heavy for
her to carry.
A) help B) show C) borrow D) lend
34. "You missed a golden opportunity."
"Yes, I _______ that job when it was offered."
A) must take B) should have taken
C) ought to take D) might have taken
35. Allen placed too much _______ on sports and paid little attention on
A) concern B) interest
C) hobby D) emphasis
36. If you have mosquito problem, remember that they reproduce in water.
Be sure to _______ these spots in and around your home.
A) release B) occupy C) eliminate D) investigate
37. Certainly I'll come, but I am afraid I shall be _______.
A) a few minutes late B) a few minutes later
C) late for a few minutes D) later for a few minutes
38. The new student is having trouble _______ his English pronunciation
A) getting B) to get
C) for getting D) in how to get
39. Bill refused to go home at this _______ stage of his experiment.
A) superior B) superficial
C) cautious D) critical
40. I was outside the office of the company _______.
A) before it long opened B) long before it opened
C) before it opened long D) opened long before it
41. Hardly had he finished his speech ______ the audience started
A) and B) as C) than D) when
42. The emphasis has been placed on the reform _______ on the p unishmen
of the criminals.
A) less than B) than
C) rather than D) more than
43. "Could I borrow that newspaper for a few minutes?""_______."
A) By any means B) By all means
C) No, you couldn't D) Yes, you could borrow
44. Millions of dollars in the city bank is said _______ during the
A) to be stolen B) stolen
C) to have been stolen D) having been stolen
45. His answer was so confused that I could hardly make any _______
of it at all.
A) explanation B) meaning
C) sense D) interpretation
46. We would contact your nearest relative _______ any accident occurring.
A) in the event of B) in the place of
C) in spite of D) on account of