Model: [1998.8.北美(29)]
—— Can you come over for dinner tonight? (今天晚上来吃饭好吗?)
—— I’m up to my ears in work, so I’ll have to take a rain check.(我工作很忙,改日吧。)
2) lost count 弄不清楚
Model: [2000.1.(21)]
—— Ever since your girlfriend moved to Bridgeport, you are always driving there. How many trips a week do you make anyway?(自从你的女友搬到Bridgeport,你老是开车去看她。一周去几次啊?)
——I have lost count, but I can do it with my eyes closed.(搞不清楚了,但我闭着眼也能摸过去。)
3) be in another world 精神恍惚;魂不守舍
Model: [1996.5.(25)]
—— Pete’s really out of it these days.(Pete 这几天有点心不在焉。)
—— Yeah, I know. Ever since he met Ann, he’s been in another world.(我同意。自从他遇见Ann, 他就魂不守舍了。)
4) make yourself at home 随意,随便
Model: [1999.8.(7)]
—— Do you mind if I take off my jacket?(你介意我脱下夹克吗?)
—— Of course not, make yourself at home.(当然不介意,随意一点!)
5) save your breath 省口气吧;别白费口舌了
Model: [1995.10.(14)]
—— Hey? John! John!(嘿,John! John!)
—— Save your breath. He"s out of earshot.(省口气吧。他已经听不到了。)
6) make sense 有意义,理解
Model: [1999.1.(29)]
—— The plot of that movie is hard to follow.(那部电影的情节很难跟得上。)
—— It makes more sense the second time.(再看一遍就理解了。)
7) cost sb. an arm and a leg 非常昂贵
Model: [1999。1。(4)]
——Did you see the diamond ring Bill gave to Linda?(你看到Bill送给Linda的钻戒了吗?)
——I sure did. It must have cost him an arm and a leg.(当然了。那一定很昂贵。)
8) burn a hole in one’s pocket 很快地被花光
Model: [1997.10 ]
——Have you saved enough to buy that new printer for your computer yet? (你攒足钱给你的电脑买一台新打印机了吗?)
——You know money seems to be burning a hole in my pocket lately . Maybe next month. (这几个月我花钱如流水。也许下个月吧。)
9)fill one’s shoes 很好地顶替;令人满意地替代
Model: [1997.8.]
——Have you heard that Professor Jones is retiring? (你听说Jones教授要退休了吗?)
——Yes. The faculty won’t find anyone to fill her shoes. (是的。学校将很难找到合适的人来代替她。)
10)is ice cold 表示理所当然
Model: [1995.10.]
——Does Prof. Ford always come to class? (Ford教授总是来上课吗?)
——Is ice cold? (当然了。)
11)like apples and oranges 用来表示无法相比的事物
Model: [1997.1.]
——Which game do you think is more difficult to learn, chess or bridge? (你认为桥牌和象棋哪个更难学?)
——They are like apples and oranges. (它俩没法比较。)
Model: [1996.10.(26)]
——It’s good to see you, Mary. How have you been? (看见你真高兴,Mary。你好吗?)
——Actually I have been feeling under the weather recently. (其实这两天我身子不大舒服。)
29)bite off more than one can chew 贪多嚼不烂;心有余而力不足;不自量力;力不从心
Model:
——I hear you’ve been taking an advanced physics course this semester. How’s it going? (我听说这学期你在上高等物理课。这门课怎么样?)
——I think I’ve bitten off more than I can chew. (我是心有余而力不足啊。)
30)break new ground 创新
Model:
——His architectural design broke new ground in the field. (他的建筑设计是这个领域里的创新。)
31)do the trick 做成功;达到理想的结果
Model:
——I’ve been trying to get the furnace started, but I can’t find the right switch. (我尽力想让炉子燃起来,可不知道该按哪个键。)
——Here, I believe this one in the back will do the trick. (这里,我相信后面按这个键,可以让炉子燃起来。)
32)drag one’s feet 行动缓慢;磨磨蹭蹭不情愿
Model:
——How’s Bob coming along on his dissertation proposal? (Bob的论文计划进展地怎么样了?)
——He’s really been dragging his feet. (他很磨蹭的。)
33)draw the line 拒绝,拒不容忍
Model:
——Paul expects me to clean the room every week. (Paul想让我每周打扫房间。)
——That’s where I draw the line. (可是我绝对不会答应的。
34)feel down in the dumps 心情不好;情绪低落
Model:
——Kate was really feeling down in the dumps about her latest chemistry assignment. (Kate为最近的化学作业成绩感到很沮丧。)
35)few and far between 不多;少而分散的;不常碰到或发现的;稀少的
Model:
——Steve is really a terrific guy. (Steve真是不简单。)
——He sure is. Ones like him are few and far between. (当然。像他那样的人可不多见。)
36)fit as a fiddle 身体很健康
Model:
—— Harry! How have you been? I haven’t seen you in ages. (Harry,你好吗?好久没看见你了。)
——I’m fit as a fiddle. This exercise program I’m following is terrific. (我身体好极了。我正进行的这个锻炼计划太棒了。)
37)grin and bear 任劳任怨;毫无怨言地忍受
Model:
——Carla,I can’t take this job any longer. (Carla,我不能再做这份工作了。)
——If you need the money, you’ll just have to grin and bear it. ( 如果你需要钱,你就得忍耐。)
38)hit the spot (特指吃了食物,喝了饮料之后)精神完全恢复过来或感到满足;恢复精力;提精神
Model:
——This Lemonade sure hits the spot.(柠檬汁太提神了。)
——And how! (当然了!)
39)keep between the two of us 不让第三者知道,保密
Model:
——What I’m going to say is rather personal, so let’s keep between the two of us. (我要讲的纯属私事,所以希望你能保密。)
40)know a thing or two about 略知一二
Model:
——Do you think Andy could help us plan the camping trip to West Virginia? (你认为Andy会帮我们计划去西弗吉尼亚州野营吗?)
——Well, since he spends every summer there, he might know a thing or two about it. (可能吧。他每个夏天都去那儿,应该知道一些事儿。)
41)leave no stone unturned 不遗余力;全力以赴
Model:
——Lynn left no stone unturned in her research, and handed in an excellent paper. (Lynn全力以赴做她的研究,交了一篇优秀的论文。)
42)on cloud nine 沉浸在幸福之中;非常高兴
Model:
——Marcia looks like she’s on cloud nine. Do you know what made her so happy? (Marcia好象沉浸在幸福之中。你知道她为什么这么高兴吗?)
| 广告合作:400-664-0084 全国热线:400-664-0084 Copyright 2010 - 2017 www.my8848.com 珠峰网 粤ICP备15066211号 珠峰网 版权所有 All Rights Reserved
|